Sunday, February 3, 2019

Texthelp's EquatIO

This week I would like to talk about a product that my student’s and I have been using quite a bit in chemistry class, Texthelp’s EquatIO, https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/products/equatio/ This extension allows you to easily add nuclear notation, ionic symbols, formulas, gas laws, and even drawings with mathspace.
I had used EquatIO quite a bit before having available in class It made it easy for me to create assignments using the chemical symbols I needed. It allowed me to set up equations both chemical reactions and for finding an unknown for a gas law. It made it so easy to work with nuclear reactions and recently it let me create assignments with electronic and molecular geometries.
This school year I have it available to all students in my classroom. A Big Thank You to my principal Dr. Roach at the high school!! The students were able to use EquatIO from the very beginning of the year. Since we started with conversions, EquatIO made it easy for them to set up their conversions.


When discussing the atom and nuclear reactions, the students were able to show the element’s symbol along with atomic and mass numbers along with nuclear reactions.


I didn't have a chance to use EquatIO for Lewis dot structure this year since I was not confident with mathspace but I'll have it ready for next year :-) I created a template in equatio.texthelp.com for Lewis dot structures then I pasted into a mathspace for a document. The students can just click on graphic, open EquatIO and click Edit math. It will open in a mathspace and they can modify as needed.

A mathspace I was able to use with my OnRamps chemistry class dealt with electronic and molecular geometries.

The OnRamps students were also able to easily work on their lab reports since they were showing the equations and manipulate them.

I am currently working on more ways I can use EquatIO and mathspace in my chemistry classes.


So if you haven't tried EquatIO yet, go to their website and download it. It's free for teachers to use! https://www.texthelp.com/en-us/products/free-for-teachers/

Thanks for stopping by,
Have a great day,
Efren

P.S. It's not just for Chromebooks...
EquatIO for Windows and EquatIO for Mac: insert mathematical expressions into Microsoft Word. With a premium subscription, you can access additional features, including Math and Chemistry prediction.

No comments:

Post a Comment